Re: Just a comment on Bob's turntable photo

Dear Colleagues,

I know not where The esteemed Bob got his figures from.

However I took a decidedly unscientific approach to this (as you might expect).

I simply used the evil photoshop to tell me the approximate location of the centre of each pinhead and the location of the start of each trail.

Each of these arcs subtend the same angle.

Using the power of excel and a few moments of my time, I entered these points and wrote a function to determine the angle between a point and the end points of the arc.

I then made the bold assumption that the pins were in a relatively straight line and found the line of best fit through the starting and ending points.

This point, fed into the equation to find the angles yeilded almost identical angles for each arc.

My guess is therefore (to the nearest pixel) 75 pixels from the left and 174 pixels from the top. Thats about a third of the way across the centre of the white circle.

This interestingly, gives an approximate shuter speed of almost exactly 3/20 of a sec

I have no idea how close this is to reality, but it was fun. Eslecially for a technophobe like myself.

Best,
Bob

p.s. Digital is *bad*  (mkay)

my raw figures:

head

140 	159
193 	158
225 	142
322 	130
388 	116
448 	104
509 	97
566 	84
621 	75
672 	62

Tail

139 	194
185 	218
248 	233
312 	258
375 	280
434 	298
492 	324
549 	340
600 	363
650 	376

Bob Talbot wrote:

Estimated origin, pixels:
602 1341
RMS error 2.17 pixels from residuals of Least Squares fit.

HeadX HeadY TailX TailY
897 1405 897 1262
1107 1532 1140 1260
1392 1591 1419 1179