Rare & miniscule substance needed in HIE-production?

Dear Group,

While discussing alternatives for Kodak HIE on this year's
PhotoKina[*], I learned that the most essential element for at least
the high-speed aspect is a miniscule quantity of (IIRC) 'hyper-
sensitizer'....with the minimum commercial quantity of 254gr (that
ought to be an odd Anglosaxian weight-unit, not?) being sufficient
for 160.000 films....and probably killing in price, when say only
1600 films are planned.

And also a life-span of only 1 year.

Apparently, Kodak can produce their own in any quantity, but smaller
manufacturers with less R&D might not (how much R&D would Kodak have
left in the analog department anyway?!? (their goofs with recent HIE
custom orders suggests that the last one with IR-experience retired a
long time ago....:((

Do we have any chemical engineers onboard, commercial insight
included?
What is the proper chemical name/code for this stuff?
(who knows, maybe even the Russians can produce it....they did have
very sensitive IR-films in the past, more sensitive than HIE (1000
and 1100nm IIRC))

[*] sorry Marco, your question for a meeting came too late, and the
most efficient Kina for me is one with as little fixed appointments
as possible....but after visiting Aqualand in Cologne this time, and
a bit of research on similar relax/swim/sauna centers closer to the
Kina, I might have found a better solution for such meetings (without
consuming valuable time *on* the Kina....:))

Willem
(who wants to have a battle-plan ready for that dreadful day, when
production of HIE stops (although a Kodak-UK representative said that
*if* current sales of HIE stay at this level, production will simply
continue (he also said that neither HIE nor EIR depended on
military/industrial/agricultural sales, so I take this reassurance
with a ton of salt....anyone data of how much those sales are today,
compared to the consumer/artist market?))
Jan

PS, interesting digi/IR/MF Kina news: the new Mamiya ZD (36x48mm 22MP
sensor in either separate digiback for 645 system *or* compact SLR
for 645 lenses!) will have a user-removable anti-alias filter (which
also contains the IR-block filter, to be removed for decent IR-
sensitivity/speed (like modification of common 35mm digi-SLR's, as
done on http://www.irdigital.net).
Of course, perfection requires a similar replacement with anti-alias
plus IR-pass filter, and it took me quite some time (and several
days) to get hold of the correct Japanese engineer, but I did get the
point across I believe.
(apparently one can also order the PhaseOne back without any filter,
but only straight from the factory, no retromodification....seems to
have quite a demand in the museum/restauration business)

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand