Re: That old jpg v. RAW argument again...

Howard <howard.leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Three points...
> 1	Can anyone actually see the difference in the final image
> between TIFF and JPG at maximum quality (and not repeatedly saved and
> recompressed)??

I haven't in tests I've done so far, but that's just on-screen.

> 2	Can you actually see the difference between an 16 bit TIFF and
> an 8 bit TIFF??

I doubt it.

However, the camera-original file is the *beginning* of a process.  I
find it fairly likely that people will sometimes be able to see the
difference in the *end product* based on which of those was put in at
the beginning.  This is most likely, of course, in a photo that
requires rather drastic tone adjustments -- where you're stretching
some part of the brightness range a lot.  Starting with 8-bit means
it's more likely you'll see posterization in stretched areas (or a
weird sort of "harshness" that may be the prelude to actual
posterization).

> 3	And in any case, if the same image were shot simultaneously on
> Canon 20D, Nikon D100, Pentax *st, Sigma 10D, Kodak etc., in RAW
> format and converted to TIFF without any manipulation, I'll bet that
> these would almost definitely show distinct differences when
> printed....
>
> Just as using different films gave differing results under as
> identical a set of conditions as possible!
>
> So what DO we all mean by the "best quality"??

Most often I mean "the highest quality setting the particular camera
supports"; in phrases like "You don't need to shoot at best quality
for ebay photos".