Re: PhotoForum main exhibit updated 11 09 04

Colleagues,

Thanks to my legion of fans who have clamoured for its return, I am reinstigating the PQ standard for this review.

However, rather than the old PQ, I will be using the newer Picture Quality Revised Subject To Unprofiled Viewing on the Web standard.

ADavidhazy wrote:

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP 11 04. Authors with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

D.L. Shipman - Good News Climber

Firstly I congratulate you on your photographer's statement. However, you do not tell us how many shots you took that day, a point that the public certainly need to know!

The one thig I find immediatly distracting is the part of the flower which has been eaten away. I also notice an insect half hidden, and with only parts of it's legs illuminated. Is this the subject of your photo? Where is the nice picture of the perfect flower? Your PQRSTUVW is 23.093

John Palcewski - Speed

A terrified girl without a helmet on a scooter. Terrible! If that is her father? Why didn't he provide her with a helmet? And why is he in focus and not her? I'm sorry, I can only give you a PQRSTUVW of 30.17.

Bob Talbot - Girl

A lovely picture of innocence. But NO DISCLOSURE? How can I tell it is actually a girl? She could be a character from Wallace and Gromit! I like this image a lot. But your sad lack of disclosure means I can only assign you a PQRSTUVW of 31.23892

Steve Harris -

This young lad is looking rather concerned. I would too if I was expected to sit on a chair with a lean on it like that one! Or maybe he's worried by the headless men or the impatient women behind him? PQRSTUVW of 37 1/3

Dan Mitchell - Bircham Mill

At first I thought this was the result of a huge helicopter nosediving into a house, then I put my glases on. But I'm afraid that this shot is simply unbelievable. Nowhere in England has such nice weather, I think you photographed a postcard! your PQRSTUVW suffers greatly by using the word "digital" -- 103.6

Charles Siegel - Grasse, France 2004

A lovely field camera shot.  PQRSTUVW = 203.98

Jim Davis - Deer and Ducks

I'm sorry to hear of your untimely death Jim. A wonderful image that captures the essence of nature. It couldn't be digital. PQRSTUVW of 549

Robert G. Earnest -

This Bob was once an evil man who wouldn't listen to me. I see that I've completely transformed him. Look at his disclosure! Faced with the forced economy of film he has pulled out a great shot. PQRSTUVW = 666

Trevor Cunningham - South Unit in TR National Park

(I'm being serious now) Parts of this shot I really like. Other parts I don't. Is it a case of the photographer trying to capture too much? To my mind there's too much sky and the image doesn't look level.

Stephen Ylvisaker - Moonset

I think the best part of this image is the moon setting between the trees. Frankly, I'm not impressed with the rest of it.

If I was to comment on a single negative factor in this week's images, I would hae to say it is "failing to keep the camera level". I've got no problems with images where the camera is deliberately and obviously tilted, but I really *don't* like images where it's just a little bit off.

But on the positive side, all of the Bob's, Jim's and Charles' this week have submitted great images. Oh, and Dan - - take it as you will, but when I looked at the image I thought "postcard" -- I was kidding about the helicopter :-)

Best
UnBob