RE: PF exhibits updated 04 SEP 04

Pini Vollach, Eilat. The colors and composition are interesting, but strangely it doesn't work very well for me as an abstraction. Why? Well, it gives me the impression of a photo of a sort of stage curtain that is accidentally out of focus. Why do I get that impression? I have no clue. But it's what immediately came to mind.

Jeff Spirer, Laundry. Nothing in this too-contrasty and ineffective image suggests laundry. The subject could be Chinese, but I'm not sure. If I were the author, though, I'd change the title because it seems very much like an intentional and unpleasant display of racial stereotyping.

Deen Hameed, Agfa Isolette. I like this because it makes me want to pick up this lens and see if the f-stop ring makes definite clicks when turned.

Peeter Vissak.  Interesting shapes, lovely colors.

Trevor Cunningham, Tourist Trap. I'd like to see the sky much darker, and more detail in the clouds in the upper left. As it is, the effect of the infrared film seems subverted somehow.

WRGill. In converting the slide the saturation seems too heavy, and the sharpness of the airborne rider takes away a sense of movement.

Jim Davis, Running Deer. Odd, but the sharpness of the deer is very much like the suspended motorcyclist in that it doesn't convey the idea of something in motion.

Timothy A. Holmes, Lax Scrum. Now, still another sharp image but this one is much more effective. The ball is dead in the grass, and the combatants appear locked in struggle. I'd like to see a bit of dodging in the face of the figure at the left.

UnBob UnRosen, The old and the new. Just about everything you say is perfectly true, and I applaud your courage in saying it in a public forum, but allow me to correct an error that just leaped out at me. This image is not, as you think, number 20. Rather it's 22 among the later images. And we can easily deduce the number of the last one, it's 37.

John

John Palcewski http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe