Re: John's Drag Racing Documentary

David writes:

>Well, *I'm* pretty darned impressed.  It seems to me
>the technical and artistic quality holds up very well

>throughout the whole set of photos

Thanks very much.  Reponse so far has been gratifying,
from photographers and from the racers.

>And there's a fair amount of cool night work, and
>lots of smoke/steam/fog.  (Mostly steam and some
>smoke, I suppose, given the subjects.)

Entirely smoke, as it turns out.  Not from the actual
race, but from the burn-outs that drivers perform just
before a race to heat and clean the rear tires.

Bill writes:

>Congratulations on a fine group of images

Much appreciated.

>not to mention that you bring back memories of the
>days when I'd spend many a weekend at US 30
>dragstrip in NW Indiana.

I'm glad to hear that.  I've been hoping that the set
could evoke those sorts of feelings.

>It's neat how you've focused on the people rather
>than the cars.

No doubt about it, the people interest me much more
than the cars (which are by no means boring).

>Your comments about women and African Americans are
>interesting, but I believe correct. I never saw
>either at US 30.

Depends on the region.  You'll find lots of
African-American racers around big cities and
throughout the South.  In California, many Latinos and
Asian-Americans, as well as blacks and whites.

These days, women racers are almost everywhere,
including at the highest professional ranks.

>and I believe they still hold the Nationals in
>Indianapolis.

You bet.  The US Nationals, drag racing's Super Bowl
(or should that be drag racing's Cup Final?), every
Labor Day weekend.

--John

=====
J Mason
Charlotteville, Virginia

New! Democracy of Speed, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html