OT: Desktops, backups and memory WAS: sign off (long)

I have to admit I don't really know if that's true. I was advised that by the networking guys, and accepted it as the whole truth :) ... I try not to apply too much logic with Windows, and anyway I've had empty desktops (except for shortcuts I might put in temporarily) for so long, I never got a chance to verify that little titbit... Apologies if I am spreading more lies and untruths... (but it's election time in Australia)

About the backups, I should have been clearer. The Desktop sits outside of what the user sees (My Documents). It's counter-intuitive to have a place called "My Documents" and put things outside this space. The standard backup (the wizard anyway) doesn't back it up... only the user's My Documents folder.

Me, I don't like to mix my documents with the OS, so it's on another partition (they squabble for swap space), and i use a simple program (Syncback, freeware) to make an identical copy to an external drive. I prefer this solution to a proprietary solution that requires me to backup/restore... I wound up with some strange configuration after years of trying out manufacturer's recommended setups, elaborate third-party configurations, above-mentioned systems admins, and finally wound up with a very simple setup that lets me concentrate on my work (surfing the net) and not worry about the machines.

Still, I probably shouldn't talk about computers...

just trubble...

Best,
Deen
2004-08-31 22:20:54

--
Deen Hameed
0405 649 101 deenhameed@xxxxxxxxxxxx

At 2004-08-31, 07:21:48 Jeff Spirer (jeff@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>At 01:56 PM 8/30/2004, Deen Hameed wrote:
>>In Windows at least, stuff on the desktop gets loaded into memory...
>
>I don't know where you get this from.  I do have some things on the Desktop
>and they certainly aren't loaded into memory or running.  Things only get
>loaded into memory if they are startup items, started items, or processes
>called by the system.  I've seen systems with so much stuff on the Desktop
>that it would crash the largest system imaginable if that was true.  The
>items on the Desktop are stored in the "Documents and Settings"  sub-folder
>that belongs to each user on the system.
>
>>also it doesn't get backed so obviously (a pain given that it's sitting
>>right there in front of you) so my desktop is empty, except for maybe
>>temporary shortcuts.
>
>If you mean "backed up", it gets backed up when the Documents and Settings
>folder is backed up, which should happen with any standard backup.
>
>FWIW, I just put shortcuts on the desktop, except with certain items I
>haven't decided to locate somewhere.  Everything else sits in the standard
>hierarchical file system, but the things that have immediate need often
>have shortcuts on the Desktop.
>
>I've used both Windows and Mac systems for the last ten years and, at this
>point, find very little difference except that my son can't get any of the
>good computer games for the Mac.
>

>Jeff Spirer
>Photos: http://www.spirer.com
>One People: http://www.onepeople.com/