Gallery Review: Yumi and the Dogs

Yumi and the Dogs
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html

<<Additional Details: Sort of a portrait of my wife and my dogs, with a cool looking big planter in the shot. I knew I had to get a shot of that planter so I just grabbed a casual shot. >>

OK,

Having commented elsewhere about the digital era giving us hyper-colour, this one has the lighting quite flat - aka natural.

I won't judge it for it's pictorialism, but it's more than just the family snap as Jim hinted at in his other info.

Yumi and the dogs can actually be considered "false subjects": they add the human / canine interest that most people - with no interest in the planter/garden - will notice.
It's too well composed to be  a snapshot though: vertical is very very nearly vertical, the three mamalian life-forms are well balanced positionally and, as I said, it has a very real world look about it.

If it has flaws - in the context of it's stated aim, it for me lies in the lack of focus on yumi's face: it seems best in focus on the dogs!  The tiny cropping suggestion I would add, crop off 20 pixels from the right to get rid of the annoying little branch just coming into the picture ;o)

I didn't know you had two dogs btw.  Is this a digital ruse?  You know, pasting in another copy of the white one and inverting it's coat colour?

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/