Re: file size? why?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:37:59 -0400, "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>The next thing I noticed was that there was interesting and visible
>noise at 1600 ISO, of course, but the shape of it was quite curious.
>At 200% magnification in PS, there appeared a flocked texture in the
>black.  Not necessarily uniform either.

Also you will notice the noise tend to go to banding badly. The only
way to avoid bad noise in the real dark areas is to make those  areas
black. Or use a program like Neatimage where you can selectively
smooth out those areas. Neatimage Pro+ works as a Photoshop plugin so
you can use masks and stuff and selectively use it.

>Could the noise account for the different in file size?

Absolutely.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/