file size? why?

OK. The moon was red tonight, about half moon. So I thought, now this could be interesting and parked at the beach, took out a big blanket and the new 10D with the 75-300mm lens and went over to a concrete post in the sea wall.

Set the blanket on the top of the post, set the camera for manual and noticed that it would not allow me to change the aperture. Whoops. Time to study the manual.

But onward and upward. So I set the lens at 300 mm and the exposure time for a variety of lengths with the ISO at 100. By perusing the little display I determined that a quarter second seemed to make something acceptable at f7.1, which is what the camera chose.

Then I set the ISO at 1600 and shot one at a 30th and that was acceptable too.

So home I came to the computer and emptied the card onto the desktop.

The first thing I noticed was that the 100 ISO file at a quarter second was jpegged at less than 1M, whereas all the other files were jpegged around 2M.

Anybody got an idea of why?

The next thing I noticed was that there was interesting and visible noise at 1600 ISO, of course, but the shape of it was quite curious. At 200% magnification in PS, there appeared a flocked texture in the black. Not necessarily uniform either.

Could the noise account for the different in file size?

At 600% magnification there was still no visible noise in the 100 ISO shots. I have to admit I'm rather impressed by that.

Incidentally, the sharpness was about the same between the long hand held exposure on the blanket at 100 ISO and the hand held but considerably shorter exposure at 1600 ISO.

Now back to the manual.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx