Re: San Francisco

David,
Just in case you get tired of crashing waves and rocks, you might consider Chinatown at daybreak when the merchants set up their days displays and arrange their flowers or practice Tye Chee together in empty parking lots. (Sorry about the spelling but my spell check doesn't have a clue about spelling of Tie Chee nor do I).
Another cool place was the floating houseboat city docked off Sausalito. There were two houseboat cities, one was a posh floating village and the other was the "hippies" area which looked like it could sink at any moment. Watch out for the hippies dogs!
Walter