From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: 08 August 2004 22:41
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: RE: Digital Photography

My CD writer will not store 600MB of 15MBTiff files if all are saved at once.  The PC crashes.  I've re-installed the operating system and applications twice and tried another cd-burner.  There are no reported memory faults when I ran a memory test for 6 hours with 7 passes.

I can save a few at a time or use jpeg files all at once.

Large executables do the same thing and I burned a cd with poser installation data.  The pc did not crash but poser will not install from this disk.

It is really strange.

I think it is because the quatity of data in the cd write buffer exceeds the capacity of my pc available memory (and I've done it with no software loaded with the same results) and os data gets overwritten such as the stack or the heap where jumps and other addresses are stored.

I've even had the screen memory overwritten like those old fashioned crashes when the screen displays all sorts of patterns and the pc freezes.

I think there is no cure but a silicon graphics workstation or a dec-alpha.  I have three drams of 256MB.  three 60 gb hard disks.

I've even tried taking out most of the addon hardware .....

Anyone else had similar experiences.  Anyone with ideas as to how to fix.

Chris,
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk
In Memory of Maia, a sad, sad story.