Report on strip mall (artspace) gallery

Hello All,

I'm just sending a report along about our most recent "artspace" gallery
opening. I thought you all might be interested because it is an experimental
project and it involves the arts and photography.

We had our sixth opening last night with local artist C.D. Bailey.    C.D.
garnered a half page article in one of our local newspapers, which was very
exciting for all concerned and the coverage had him walking in the clouds.
Among the guests who visited were two very prestigious local artists and our
exhibitor was delighted that his show brought these people in.

In about six to eight months we've progressed from a dark, empty room, next
to a liquor store with a bad reputation, in the poorer part of town, to a
bright and shiny gallery/art school. We have one art teacher holding classes
and several art-related workshops scheduled.   The city is supporting our
efforts by letting us advertise our workshops in their quarterly magazine.

The strip mall is almost completely filled now (from a 40% "empty rate")
with great new small businesses that couldn't afford to start elsewhere. One
business is moving into a store front (still in the strip mall) twice the
size of where they started at the beginning of the summer because they are
doing so well.

Most involved with the art gallery/school have worked, or are working on a
volunteer basis, so money isn't necessarily the impetus, although it is a
concern so we can build on what has been started.   Although it sounds like
it, I'm not passing this information along to brag - I'm just so pleased and
excited, and I want others to see that "It Can Be Done."

I know this is getting boring to those who are reading.   Thank you for
suffering my blathering.

Marilyn