Re: H-CB gone

As for the great man's ability to capture "the decisive moment," it's important to realize that with some of his famous images it was more a matter of anticipation than recognition. There's a significant lag, after all, between the brain's decision to press the shutter and the shutter opening. Skilled photographers also rely on ques other than the visual. Sound, for instance. Capturing a horse at the top of a leap over a barrier in an equestrian event is best done by prefocusing on the barrier and then waiting for the sound of the gallop to cease. One learns by practice, over many years.

Verlyn Klinkenborg, in one of the New York Times' obits, noted in particular "...his simple capacity to be out in the world." She goes on to say that "In his photographs you see what Mr. Cartier-Bresson saw, and you come to some pale awareness of how much time - in how many places - he must have spent looking."

Ars longa, vita brevis.

John Palcewski
http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe

Of course he's gone.  And, as the cliche goes 'gone and not forgotten.'

His influence upon photography as an art is basic. He wrote time and again,
said it many times "seeing shapes, and what happens within the movement of
those shapes makes the photograph."

This is the understanding of negative space Boris Bligh taught at Temple
University, the Tyler Institute.

is interview with Charlie Rose just finished on our PBS affiliate, KQED.
Again it was said, he carried his camera with him all the time and it was
'easier than drawing.'

What's all too often overlooked is his affiliation with Magnum as a founder.
e was a press photographer, for income; but an artist with the camera as a
dillitante. His family was very rich, but penurious and didn't at all
indulge him. Though unlike Atget, C-B wanted for very little.

Like many of the French artists' success stories, he was talented and
attracted others of talent around themselves.

While we cannot all aspire to be like him, we can learn from his gift, his
natural gift of the artist.  His passion for using his gift is our gift.

Steve Shapiro