Re: H-CB gone

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx>
> Sometimes I think
> one can't do what he did anymore because the world is so different.
> I wonder how he perceived the streets in our day and age.

The fact that he pretty well had given up photography for drawing and
painting is perhaps an indication.

Many years ago, I read a first-class article about him, not sure if it was
in the NewYorker or the Atlantic.  In the article, the author told this
little story about the way he operated.  It goes something like this.  He
was asked by an acquaintance from a newspaper or magazine if he could make a
picture of a famous person who steadfastly refused to be photographed.
Eventually, H-CB agreed and he went with the journalist to visit the person.

The journalist did his interview and they left without any indications that
H-CB even had brought along his camera.  Once out of the building, the
journalist asked what happenerd and why he didn't take any picture.  H-CB
pulled out his camera from his coat pocket and, with a happy grin on his
face, just raised two fingers of his hands...

Best,

Guy