Just Wondering What You Think

Hi PFer's,

I belong to an organization that has - among other things - a gallery.   This gallery/building has a 70 year history and several board members feel the gallery needs to be revamped and reinvented.   It needs sprucing up, for sure.   No arguement there.

However, some members are adamant about changing the name of the gallery.   The gallery is now and has been called the Cedar Centre Gallery for at least 45 years and is part of four 70 year old buildings that are a historic complex in the downtown area of our city.

To confuse things further, the gallery is owned by Antelope Valley Allied Arts Association.   I'm one of the board members of the Antelope Valley Allied Arts Association who feels changing a name that is historically important, and confusing people further by changing that name (even now people call and ask, "Is this Antelope Valley Allied Arts Association or the Cedar Centre Gallery or what?") is not a good move.   I also think name recognition has some value.

I'd like to hear comments from PFer's, please.   Any thoughts on the value of changing or keeping the gallery name?

(This gallery is not the strip mall "artspace" gallery.   Are you thoroughly confused now?)

Marilyn