RE: : Re: airlines & hand checks

--- Pini Vollach <pinimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> : Re: airlines & hand checksI was used to ask for hand check
> for my ~30
> films at all airports.
> Usually it was not a problem in most cases.
> This days I do not succeed to convince them to do it.
> Everywhere they demand putting the films into the X-Ray
> machine unless the
> film is ISO1600 and above.
> I don't have experience with CF cards but I assume it will be
> the same.
> For this reason I intend to go completely digital.
>
> Pini

   In US airports you are entitled to a hand check if you ask.
My practice is to identify myself as a professional photographer
when I reach the security point and ask. I always get it. My
film is out of those plastic containers and loose in a clear
Ziploc bag so that the cartridges can be easily seen. The bag is
handed around the x-ray scanner and handed by a security person
to another one who checks it for exposive residue(or
whatever)with a swab that is then inserted into a machine.
  I usually have my press card around my neck but I've never had
a security person scrutinize that. Good thing. The photo is
getting a bit old (or maybe it's me that's getting old).
   Airports outside the US are another story. On those occasions
when I have an assignment overseas I usually Fedex my film to my
destination and Fedex it back. Fedex doesn't x-ray (at least the
last time I asked them) and the film always flies on Fedex
planes.
   Nowadays I mostly shoot digital and use film as back-up. It
used to be the reverse. I've never had any problems with the
Compact Flash, XD, and Smart Media cards going through the
carry-on scanners. So far.

                                                  Richard

=====
Richard Martin specializes in Cityscape