APIS 2004 Museums and others

Dear David.

It was very kind of you to offer to forward an item about APIS 2004 to the Museums list as curators and conservators will find the programme of particular interest.

We had originally intended to limit bookings to July 5 but developments since that original intention now mean that we can take bookings into early September but it would be better if people could, at least, express an intention  to come so that we can plan more effectively.

Here is the note that I would be grateful if you pass on to the museums list :

The theme of the Alternative processes International Symposium 2004  'The best Inspires the Best' reflects the intention to use stimulating work from the past to provide aesthetic and technical benchmarks for those working in the field today. This is why the Scottish National Galleries, the University of Texas, the Getty Conservation Institute and the National Museum of Photography are all involved.

Presentations will be given on the work of Hill and Adamson, the Annans and Karel Klic, Frederick Evans and Alvin Langdon Coburn. In the conservation field, the presentation of the work of the Getty Conservation Institute on the 'First Photograph' will be particularly interesting.

New approaches to processes from the development of photography will include Becquerel Daguerreotypes, new methods of gold printing which are cheap consistent and give potential for creative applications. Demonstrations will include a method of making colour heliochromes ( a la Niepce), which delegates will be able to try for themselves, polymer gravure and digital negatives for alternative processes.

The seminar will give people the opportunity to show and discuss their work.

The seminar will be held in Dunfermline, Scotland, on 18 and 19 September with an optional  programme of visits in conjunction with Scottish National Galleries and the National Museum of Photography on 17 and 21 September.

More details of the programme and how to book can be found at

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

www.hands-on-pictures.com/