Re: Question about special-purpose camera

Hi Kent,

The "method" is known as scanning light photography. Three or four lights are positioned equidistant from the subject. The slit through which the light passes to the subject is about one to two mm "wide" The subject is attached on an upwardly mobile stand such that, in a darkened room, the subject is raised up through the narrow "band" of light". It is most often used for photomacrography. It is not so much the camera that is "special"... but more the illumination "technique" with the shutter set on "T". There is no reason a similar technique could not be used for "larger" subjects.

There was a paper published on the technique a number of years ago.... in the Journal of Biological Photography.

We recently moved to a new house and all my papers etc., are in boxes, downstairs, that I do not have time to search through right now due to greater need for my labour at the local Habitat for Humanity build. When the panic for my time is is lessened (we are a number of days behind due to inclement weather), I will search out that copy of the journal and get a photocopy to you.

 Ken

Howdy,

Some time ago I ran across a description of
a photographic technique which I am interested
in trying.

It involves a camera with the shutter held open,
the plane of focus coinciding with a thin sheet
of collimated light.

The subject moves perpendicular to the film
plane, moving through the sheet of light.

The resulting image gives the impression of
extreme depth of field, since it is only exposed
while in the plane of focus of the lens.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

I would appreciate any help on what this technique
is called and pointers to information about it.

Thanks,
Kent