Question about special-purpose camera

Howdy,

Some time ago I ran across a description of
a photographic technique which I am interested
in trying.

It involves a camera with the shutter held open,
the plane of focus coinciding with a thin sheet
of collimated light.

The subject moves perpendicular to the film
plane, moving through the sheet of light.

The resulting image gives the impression of
extreme depth of field, since it is only exposed
while in the plane of focus of the lens.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

I would appreciate any help on what this technique
is called and pointers to information about it.

Thanks,
Kent