printer recommendations?

Does anybody have a photo printer s/he loves?  I need professional quality prints from scans, have a presentation to complete within a couple of weeks.

I have an Epson Stylus C84 that stinks.  Everything about it screams "cheap."  It's made of cheap plastic, it frequently doesn't work right, I have to spend a lot of time figuring out why, more time correcting it.  Cartridges are hard to find, output is okay but I have to print test after test after print to get a decent print, the manual isn't clear about the options.  I had to call Epson to get a manual.  It's not made for the kind of printing I need.

I'm pretty sour on Epson, but will take all recommendations under consideration.  I'm hoping to find something under $600.

--Sally