Re: resizing for email attachments or the web

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:25:28 -0400, you wrote:

>that's why you need to do all the preparation with the manual before
>you go.  So that you know how to adjust your exposure compensation
>for different lighting situations.  I just had a friend over and we
>were talking about the way these digital sensors tend to blow out the
>brights and how much we learned to underexpose.  With the D100 I
>found a third of a stop to cover many blownout highlights, and also
>that the digital capture contained a lot of info in the darks that
>could be pulled out in Photoshop.

I'm going to add that it's VERY important to expose for the upper half
of the histogram. Apparently digital information is greater to the
right side of the histogram in a logarithmetic way. In other words,
the upper end, the highlight end of the spectrum captured, has way
more info than the bottom end. That's why, when you pull those shadows
up, they're going to be grainy as hell. Er, noisy that it. Same with
film, but we can maximize the amount of quality info in an image by
adjusting exposure in camera.

So, histogram almost all the way to the right, and take whatever you
get to the left of it. Flash and reflectors are the only way to change
that. Oh, and RAW does allow you to pull back one stop of highlights
and pick up more shadow detail by far than JPG shooting. I look on it
more as a safety cushion, it's still easy to blow out highlights.

I nearly cried after seeing some camera JPGs way back after first
getting my camera. Some great images were toast, highlights just gone.
I've always shot RAW ever since.

And especially when new, you want to minimize the camera futzing with
settings. You want to be more concerned with things like focus mode,
exposure comp, and framing. I leave my white balance to daylight. I
can change it to whatever I want later with RAW, so another thing less
to worry about. Auto WB gives you less consistancy making it more
difficult to balance a series later. Although it's not that hard,

Two 512 meg CF cards gives me about 150 shots of RAW with the 10d. I
dump to an Imagetank 20 gig device if I'm on the road. I can dump all
files on a CF with the push of one button. It doesn't care what kind
of files they are either.
--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/