Re: studio ponderings

lea <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm thinking of a space that would be 20 feet deep (I'm pretty locked in
> to this dimension) by 16 feet wide (I have some flexibility here) and 8
> feet tall (also some flexibility here). The north end, for certain,
> would be the entrance with all/mostly glass surrounding a French door to
> take advantage of that beautiful light. The remaining sides could or
> could not have windows...most likely the western side would not in order
> to avoid the afternoon sun and heat.
>
> I'm not certain about flooring...I imagine some low-maintenance carpet
> but might consider natural wood. Any thoughts on what works best here?
>
> Currently my studio is in my attic which has 6' ceilings and while this
> works fine for children it gets a bit tight with adults and full lenght
> shots of adults are virtually out of the question unless they are height
> challenged like myself (5'3" and proud of it!).
>
> I'm anxious to hear thoughts from those of you who have been there, done
> that.

I've only participated in setting up one dedicated studio, and that
wasn't in my own house.  But I've done quite a bit of location work
both for still and movie photography, and I have a pretty clear idea
of how a good studio (I've used some I didn't set up) differs from
many of the things I've had to put up with :-).

Your horizontal dimensions sound good enough to me for that kind of
shooting.

Height, though.  Height is crucial.  8 feet is really minimal; I'd
consider anything under 10 feet a *serious* compromise.

No side windows.  Unless you need them for ventilation, in which case
be sure to have good light-blocking window coverings available.

Inside color should be *black*, not white.  The one I helped set up
we painted white, and that turned out to be a terrible mistake.  You
can't control your light when every surface reflects it back.

A hard rather than carpeted floor has a lot to recommend it I think,
for a number of reasons -- cleanliness, moving heavy stuff, rug-rash.
If you really dislike vinyl sheet flooring, consider "Pergo" (brand
name) and its competitors; thin particle-board slabs with very
high-quality laminate on the front with images of various things,
mostly wood but some stone and such.  Easy to install yourself, too.
Used in commercial spaces as well as homes; it's very tough.

Plan for plenty of electical capacity, and lots of outlets.