Re: 6x7 medium format vs digital SLR

On Jun 17, 2004, at 4:29 AM, Elson T. Elizaga wrote:

I'm getting more inquiries from clients who want to have large pictures of their products, around 30x50 inches, even more. One of them want the pictures in backlit material. Now my questions:

Is it possible for a digital SLR to produce such large photos -- clear and sharp? What is the maximum enlargement?

What about using a 35mm negative or transparency for such large prints? Is current printing technology capable of doing such, or should I use, instead, a medium format 6x7?

I've heard rumors that a 35mm negative frame can be scanned in a special, high-end scanner, resulting in super large images that are not grainy, but look like those made by medium or large format cameras. Is this possible? Is this the reason why many photographers are selling their 6x7s?

Elson

--
Nazca Graphic Design & Photography
http://nazca.sni.ph/

Kindelen Enterprises
http://nazca.sni.ph/kindelen/

Hi Elson......
As Emily stated, it depends on the viewing distance. Other factors can be the exposure and camera type.
I use a Fuji S2 Pro SLR and routinely get prints to 24x36" that are grain free and sharp and show little or
no noticeable dark noise when viewed as close as 2 feet. The same size print from slow speed film shows
grain and appears to be not as sharp. IMO the digital prints are better at these larger sizes. (Just my view, it
works for me.) I have even gone as large as 40x60" from this SLR and the results are acceptable.

Make some tests to see if your digital SLR will do for these assignments.
If you're using film and have access to both 35mm & 6x7, I'd suggest you go the 6x7 route.

Cheers.......
Dave
Dave Van Verst
Morton Pro Photo & Imaging Lab