Re: Gallery of 2004-06-05 Copyright issues

steves <sgshiya@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> steves <sgshiya@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > Copyright is a right, a right of law.  The photographer owns the
>> > rights for 70 years.  After that time, the estate or photographer
>> > (read principle artist, author, etc.) has the option to renew
>> > that copyright.

>> Nope.  The basic law now is the life of the creator *plus* 70 years
>> (stuff created for a corporation under a work-for-hire agreement is
>> a fixed term, and longer).

> It seems apparent, David, that you don't have any registered
> copyrights.

What's that got to do with anything?  Is some specific piece of what I
said wrong?  If so, what piece, and how is it wrong?

I've kept fairly close watch on this area for almost 30 years,
including reading several books and numerous articles on the subject,
plus talking to actual experts when I can.  Your description as quoted
above is wrong twice.  Copyright does not currently last for a term of
70 years, it lasts for the life of the creator *PLUS* 70 years.  And
at the end of that time, it cannot be renewed.

This, for example, is an excerpt from the text at
<http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc>:

    A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time)
    on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the
    moment of its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for
    the author's life plus an additional 70 years after the author's
    death. In the case of "a joint work prepared by two or more
    authors who did not work for hire," the term lasts for 70 years
    after the last surviving author's death. For works made for hire,
    and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author's
    identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of
    copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from
    creation, whichever is shorter.

Life plus 70 years, with different provisions for works made for hire
-- exactly what I said.  No need or option for renewal -- exactly what
I said.