Re: Roadtrip

Trevor,

Sounds like a nice bit of travel. I hope you can cover as much as you would like in your available time, but it sounds rather ambitious to me. How much of this travel will be driving, and how much other forms of transportation?

I visited TR Nat. Park (North Unit) last year, at about the time you would be there. Quite an awesome place.
Here are a couple frames from the three days I was there, just to pique your interest further:
http://richmason.com/utne/bison.jpg
http://richmason.com/utne/balls.jpg (cannonball concretions)
We had bison foraging through the campsite in the middle of the night. They liked to scratch themselves on the picnic tables.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the park--off-list perhaps. My knowledge is somewhat limited, but I'll answer anything I can.

You may wish to go a little farther south in search of Aurora Australis (the Southern Lights) in the middle of July. Here's why:
Begin civil twilight 01:37
Sunrise 02:41
Sunset 20:09
End civil twilight 21:13

data from http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

That's the amount of dark sky you'll have in Churchill (or as I computed it at longitude W95.0, latitude N58.0, though I wasn't sure of the time zone there) on July 15--about 4 hours. I don't believe the Northern Lights are as active in the summer anyway, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
Great site for "space weather": http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html
Polar bears hang out near Churchill in the summer. You might want to see if you can take a tundra tour while up there.

Cheers,
Rich Mason