Re: Where is the original? Was: RE: Value of the Original; Guidelines for pricing

wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>>Actually, inkjet color prints may outlast silver-gelatine B&W prints.
>>They certainly outlast chromogenic color prints.  They may well
>>outlast dye-transfer prints.
> That's what they said about the prints from my Epson 1200!
>
> It's fruitless to argue on this - the manufacturers blurb tell us
> the prints will last until "the big crunch": people who've hung the
> damned things on thier wall behing glass say it can be as little as
> six months.  Happenstance data for silver prints 80+ years old given
> no special "archival" treatment has proved them to survive (proof
> not prediction).  My own chromogenic prints stored in a box in a
> drawer have survived 30+y ...

I'm not going by the manufacturers' blurbs, I'm going by the Wilhelm
Imaging Research test results.

There was a problem with the Epson 1270 ink and paper where it could
be as little as a *week*.  And this slipped by Wilhelm at first
(turned out to be ozone, I believe).  Live and learn.

I've got fairly badly faded chromogenic materials from 30 years ago,
stored simililarly to what you describe.

>>>Unlikely, if you save in a sensible format.
>>>TIFF has been around for 20 years already,
>>>it'll be around far more than another 20.
> 1) TIFF is an extensible format - not a tablet of stone ???
> 2) TIFF is a data format: it saves the sequence of bytes (RGB values) and
> a load of other stuff (color space, profile, etc).
> These bytes don't actually become an image until they are translated.  If
> the hardware changes, if the media change, so does "the image".  I guess
> what I'm thinking around is to challenge the idea of absolute "constancy"
> of an image (visual thing) coded within a digital file.  Sure, even if we
> are careful and the sequence of bits on the storage medium is preserved
> AND we keep refreshing the storage so we don't end up with incompatible/corrupt
> media there is still another level to the equivalence that lies outside
> (is not inherent in) the bit stream.

Well, the color space info defines what the file is *trying* to
represent.  Future devices may produce different results, but they'll
be *more* true to the file than current, not less.