Re: WHO Photo Contest

Thanks for your encouragement, Marilyn, Sydney and Andy. I don't recall if I told the list that the girl in the photo plays with a small knife, an indispensable tool among the Hanunuo Mangyans.

Here are two websites related to the subject:

1) One showing the book of poems [ambahan] collected by the missionary Antoon Posta. The cover of the book shows a male Hanunuo using a small knife to write on a piece of bamboo.At the bottom of the webpage page is a photo of elders and myself [sitting right], after the felling of trees, a prelude to farming: http://nazca.sni.ph/ambahan/

I walked barefooted and wore a loincloth [bahag] in the mountain village for two years.

2) The Mangyan Center, a collection of references about the Hanunuo Mangyans. This site includes a report I made some years ago: http://mangyan.org

I hope you find these sites interesting.

Elson

Marilyn wrote:

Good work, Elson.  I really like all the sparkle and life in your subjects' eyes. Marilyn