Re: Pricing guidelines needed for greeting card useage

On Sun, 30 May 2004 02:40:53 -0400
Dan Cardish <leicaman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These book references are all great to have, but I have already received a
> query about the photos, and I have to reply very soon.
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, but eve...

Doubt if it can, somehow! But anyway:

Surely there must be any number of ways this could be done. The most
transparent (and therefore best, imho) is on a royalty basis per card
sold. The standard rule-of-thumb for physical distribution of artistic
stuff is that the middlemen take 90% (retail takes 50% for a start). So
if they offer you vastly less than 10% you're being ripped off, but if
you demand vastly more than 10% they would be being ripped off.

I must say I would be slightly suspicious of an established publisher
who didn't start by quoting a standard rate. After all, it's much easier
starting from the retail end to work backwards at how much you can
afford to pay the photographer. Presumably you are not being
commissioned to take new photographs, so your marginal costs on the sale
are effectively zero, meaning there's indefinite elasticity[?] in what
you could reasonably charge.

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/