digital size question

I'm curious about something and I'm pretty sure someone here can explain
it to me.

I shoot with a Canon 10D which is a 6.1 megapixel camera. Mostly I shoot
on the large/fine setting; now and again on medium/fine and if I'm doing
quick light checks I shoot on small/fine.

Each of these images is, of course, a smaller size respecitvely.

What I don't understand is what is changing.

Thanks for any light you can shine on this.
Lea

Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press www.whinydogpress.com