Pemission for posting quotes

Title: Pemission for posting quotes

My name is Hakon - I was part of this list some years ago but have now signed the list again. I have one problem - hope you give me some tips.

I run a website called PhotoQuotes (http://www.PhotoQuote.com) - site that cover quotes about photography.
I always try to get permission to post the quotes I find so I can work with photographers presenting their work. Recently I sent an enquiry to Richard Avedon website if I could get permission to post his quotes on PhotoQuotes.

I got this answer:
"You have no permission to use Avedon quotes in your website. He owns the copyright to his texts and reserves these texts for his own use and publication. We take this quite seriously. Permission denied. If you have a text you would like to quote, please write to us with the exact text you wish to use, the context etc..." "

For that reason I have removed all his quotes from my website. I need your help what can I do - doesn't I have some right to publish them cause it is in educational purposes and is posted under the Fair Use Provision of the Copyright Act?

Can you see any reason he doesn't want to give me permission to post them?

This case is really important for me cause I already don't have written permission for all the quotes on this site.

On the forum at www.PhotoQuotes.com/forum - I have started a thread about this case: http://www.photoquotes.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=47

There you can read more about it.

What would you do?
If you have some idea it would be great if you would register at the forum and share them there.

p.s. if you know some quotes not listed on PhotoQuotes then please email them to me.

Thank you
Hákon

Quotations from the World of Photography
www.PhotoQuotes.com

Quotations from the World of Programming
www.SoftwareQuotes.com