Re: grain vs. noise

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Oh dear.  Reduced to discussing the weather?
>
> How about this:
>
> How does the digital noise at high ISOs compare with the grain in fast
> slide or print film?
>
> Anybody got experience with this?

It's much less bad.  I'm amazed.  Also, it handles tungsten and other
white balance settings *much* better than film (that is, unfiltered
film; *with* a filter, there *is* no fast film :-)).

It's still fairly noisy, don't get me wrong.  Even with my Fuji S2,
going over 800 is making some significant tradeoffs.  But when that's
the light and flash isn't appropriate,  I'm getting better results
with digital than with film.
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>,<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>