Re: checking list operation - msg from list HQ

Andy guesses that it...

>Must be a nice weekend worldwide!

And figures that...

>Everyone out photographing, eh?!

I'm on the road, lamenting the fact that my schedule
is so tight that I've had to stick to the interstates,
instead of the old two-lane highways that are much
more fun.  No time to wander around and shoot.

Have managed to work in a couple drag races.  Spent
Friday night at the very photogenic Edgewater Sports
Park, outside of Cincinnati.  Heavily forested, lots
of grass, Great Miami River in the near distance.
Quite bucolic, give or take several score dragsters
and the inevitable noise, fire, and smoke.  Gorgeous
late afternoon and evening light.  Light from the
towers at night might have been even better.

Spent Saturday at Gateway International Raceway,
outside St. Louis.  Big, sleek, corporate.  Asphalt
and concrete.  But once again great light and terrific
folks.

Did very little shooting, despite the light and the
settings.  Takes weeks and months of hanging out to
develop the relationships that allow for the sort of
snaps that have come out of my Eastside Raceway
project.

Spent today looking sorting some of the several
hundred rolls of film that my father shot between the
late 1940s and early 1980s.  He shot mostly slides and
mostly Kodachrome, with some B&W.  Let me say this:
God bless you and rest your soul George Eastman.
These Kodachromes, some of them over 50 years old,
look at though they were exposed and processed
yesterday.  Stunning in every way.

What a brilliant film.  These Kodachrome slides were
hardly archivally stored.  Tucked away in a hot and
humid (summer) or cold and dry (winter) attic.  They
were, thankfully, kept out of the light.

My father was a pretty fair photographer.  But the
value of these slides is as family treasures.  The
earliest date from about the time my parents were
married, and they continue through my youth and into
my parents late middle-age.  I'm struck by how lucky I
am that my father shot Kodachrome.  These photos are
immediately accessible.  Hold them up to the light and
be transported into the past.

How different it will be for people who are recording
their family's lives digitally.  Does anyone really
believe that a digi photo created in 2004 will be
accessible in 2054?  About as likely as being able to
read a Kaypro or Commadore 64 file, today.  (Which is
to say that there's a geek and an archivist in every
town who can do it, but 99% of us can't.)

For that matter, I'm lucky my father shot Kodachrome.
The few rolls of non-Kodachrome slides are fading
away; some are gone almost completely.  What survives
is the K-chrome (and the B&W prints and negs).

Cheers, John

=====
J. Mason
Charlotteville, Virginia