Re: gallery review

At 9:42 AM +0900 5/20/04, Jim Davis Nature Photography wrote:
Emily L. Ferguson, sun and wind

I like this one, but I just think it's too empty. Also, the right
angled view of the fence would have been improved if shot at a
different angle. I suppose the extreme fuzziness of the whole shot
doesn't matter consider the abstractness of it, but it does strike me
as strange.

Well, there seem to be two kinds of real, live, analog noise in the original image - sand and wood grain. So I suppose the fuzziness is primarily a function of the small size of the digital file - the ppi.

Of course, the different direction of the wind on the two sides of each sand channel also make different qualities of analog noise in the situation! And the fact that one side of each sand channel is dry and the other side slightly damp makes the sand cling together in little tiny clumps on the damp side, too.

Now the composition. I really liked setting the shadow and sunlit diagonals off against the straight-on bottom edge of the fence, rather than introduce an object like a shell or footprint or piece of seaweed or such into the graphic design. The severity of the situation focussed the viewer's mind....
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822