gallery review

Emily L. Ferguson, sun and wind

I like this one, but I just think it's too empty. Also, the right
angled view of the fence would have been improved if shot at a
different angle. I suppose the extreme fuzziness of the whole shot
doesn't matter consider the abstractness of it, but it does strike me
as strange.

Guy Glorieux, Montreal, Silo 5 in Old Harbour (#2)

The special effects here are wonderful, but my first thought was how
terrible a tilted horizon really can be. My second thought is how
uninteresting buildings are when shot square on like this.

D.L. Shipman, Haliaeetus Leucocephalus

Nice bird shot! I'll overlook a couple of small flaws that keep this
from being an incredible shot, but it is 'different'. And I know that
many days you do find a white sky, nothing you can do about it but try
and use it, and use it you have. It's not everyday you see a couple of
bald eagles sitting in a tree. So, rather than talking about all the
little details you could cheat and do in Photoshop to this image, I'll
just say congratulations on such a fine image.

Jeff Spirer, Mirror Mirror

Wow, Jeff, you really have a way with 'painting' an entire image. You
have an ability of using the entire 'canvas', by filling it with
shapes, textures and tones. Nice one!

Deen Hameed Deckchair

I like this one alot too, but holding my hand across most of the
bottom red area brings out an incredible image of the top half. But
hey, maybe you figured you needed that area for your copyright or
something...

Darryl Gage Found Objects

It seems to me to be much too tightly cropped. This type of work in my
opinion requires either showing the entire objects or zooming in tight
using them to fill the landscape. I also object to the front parts
being out of focus. I'd bring up the oilcan, that's gotta be more
interesting than whatever is up front now.

Jim Snarski Gulf Frittilary

Lovely shot of a lovely butterfly for sure. I have two complaints
here. I'd love to see the antenna stand out better. And if you're
cropping so close to square, I'd go to a real square format. Although
the background on the left is lovely, a smaller part of it would still
be lovely. I have had the same dilemma - where you just can't bear to
lose some of such a lovely background.

WRGill  North Trail

I feel this is the best of WR's submissions so far. I really like the
'candid' look this one has. It seems as if it was taken while hiking
along the coast. It just has nicely balanced overall areas, and it's
not the stereotypical coastline shot, but an informal 'as you see it
from the trail' look. I love the colours!

Now for some thoughts on reviews and comments:

Recently I had a comment on one of my images (not on PF), that 'the
bird just doesn't pop'. Well, it sure beats me what this is supposed
to mean, because my aim is to have a bird in the photo, but not
overwhelming and filling the frame. I guess many people figure a bird
shot has rules and should be used for catalogue IDing a bird or
something. So in other words I do not want my bird to 'pop' but rather
to be an interesting and important subject of my 'paintings'.
Interesting reflections, water rippling, the abstract colour and shape
of folliage are all very important in my shots.

My point here is, that it's always interesting to hear what others
think of our work. But sometimes it's so frustrating that someone like
the person mentioned above just doesn't get it. The above mentioned
photo has a really 3D look to it, and the bird is in the central
focus, lighting and position. What I love about this particular image
is the overall filling of the frame with interesting and beautiful
colour, shapes, and patterns.

While I appreciate comments most of the time, and learn much from
them, at other times I'd just like to smack the retard who left me a
comment that is completely without merit or thought :-) When I do
these reviews I take my time and really think them over. I do not feel
I need to comment where unecessary, nor do I want to review a
sometimes lifeless gallery.

But I think this week's is a very nice gallery. It could have been an
exceptional one though and I am hoping that my sincere comments above
help improve future contributions. Keep them coming!

--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography