Re: bad law -- or is it??

Spoken like a true blue individualist. Strange though. It seems you've contradicted yourself with your opening blast. If the expectation is that you will respect other people's rights or follow public norms of behaviour then you can't do anything you please. It is a simple truth that when you throw a bunch of people together in a group (whether it's a boy scout troup, a photography discussion forum, or a country) you have to give up some portion of your individuality to gain the benefits that grow from that group association. Which means that it still holds that the only time you can do and say what you please is when you live alone, miles from anybody and have absolutely nothing to do with societal function.

Well, it seems we're arguing metaphysics here rather than discussing photography. I have no expectation that I will change the opinion of the liberterians and rabid individualists in the crowd. Waste of time trying. Personally, I take a collectivist view of things. If I'm on a city street I'm there to do landscape work, not butt in on people unless I'm a news photographer. People I concentrate on only by permission.

Bob Blakely <Bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hogwash! You may do anything you please on public property so long as you do
not infringe on anyone else's rights (or public norms of behavior - no
peeing on the bush in the public park), or on your own property or on any
private property with permission of the owner. Being free means you have to
allow others to be free (lest the things you like to do that really harm no
one be banned also!)

As to photos, take them anywhere you like of anyone you like where there is
no reasonable expectation of privacy. Take them with anything you want. The
idea that a law could be passed whose unintended consequence might be to
require me to obtain the permission of all the folks in the background of a
photo I took of my grandchildren is an abomination! Any law that would,
though unintended, prevent me from photographing the aftermath of a traffic
accident I get caught in, including the other driver who is moving about
just fine before he sees an attorney to determine the extent of his
"injuries" is dangerous. If someone is actually harmed, as opposed to being
on a control trip, they can get an attorney to sue for civil compensation.
That's where this stuff belongs if it has merit - civil courts.

Regards,
Bob...

---
Brian Lunergan