Re: bad law -- or is it??

Hogwash! You may do anything you please on public property so long as you do
not infringe on anyone else's rights (or public norms of behavior - no
peeing on the bush in the public park), or on your own property or on any
private property with permission of the owner. Being free means you have to
allow others to be free (lest the things you like to do that really harm no
one be banned also!)

As to photos, take them anywhere you like of anyone you like where there is
no reasonable expectation of privacy. Take them with anything you want. The
idea that a law could be passed whose unintended consequence might be to
require me to obtain the permission of all the folks in the background of a
photo I took of my grandchildren is an abomination! Any law that would,
though unintended, prevent me from photographing the aftermath of a traffic
accident I get caught in, including the other driver who is moving about
just fine before he sees an attorney to determine the extent of his
"injuries" is dangerous. If someone is actually harmed, as opposed to being
on a control trip, they can get an attorney to sue for civil compensation.
That's where this stuff belongs if it has merit - civil courts.

Regards,
Bob...