Re: Are we to take C41 dev for granted?

Kostas,

> how reliable are minilab stores in providing proper C-41 development?

I think that minilabs, if properly operated, are probably more reliable than
manual procedures. Like with anything else improper operation causes problems.

> is always getting 100% correct development, but logically it cannot happen in
> this world...there is still operator error and depleted chemicals & stuff
> lurking, aren't there?

yes

> the reason i am bringing this up, is that i believe I had a case of a film
> developed improperly (less dev) since it excibits more than expected grain...

Underdevelopment typically would cause less grain is the rule of thumb I
believe. On the other hand, trying to "save" images that are not very dense due
to underexposure by underexposing during the printing stage would exhibit more
grain I think. Maybe someone will add to this or correct the logic.

> and the dreadfull thing was that the operator was not the usual one and while
> there he was filling up liquids while the minilab was still printing, which
> seems not a good at all...(indicated a careless operator taht leeft their
> machines unattended?)

Replenishment while the machine is in operation is not in itself a sign of
carelessness in my opinion. One would expect that the lab have quality control
procedures in effect and that they might even share their control charts with
the customers.

> so, how can one know for sure if his film were developed properly? by feel?
> by indicators on the film itself?

I would think that if this is of long term concern to you that you could set-up
a check on the lab by exposing some short length films under identical
conditions - like expose three - four rolls at the same time to the same
subject and under, normal and overexpose the frames. Then have one roll
processed while keeping the rest in a freezer. A week later have another roll
processed, etc. and then compare the rolls by placing them alongside each
other. Do they look almost the same? If so then the lab at least is consistent.
Major variations in density indicate a problem probably.

andy

ahh! kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!