Downsizing/resizing

There is an interesting article at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/down_sample/down_sample.htm

It reinforces my experiences with some images that will not downsize well. I've noticed that occasionally an image I prepare for the the weekly gallery will seem unsharp with odd artifacts when I know the full size file is sharp enough to produce fine A3 prints.

After some trial and error I found gaussian blur in PictureWindow Pro to do a good job of preparing a file for downsizing. I start with radius of 3, threshold 255, and amount 100% and use a little unsharp mask after down sizing. I get quite goods results resizing to a 550 pixel 55K jpg from an 18MB tiff.

If you down load the worst case "circles" file from the above web site and spend a few moments manipulating it in your image processor you might find it well worth the effort.

Dave
East Englewood
Let each man exercise the art he knows.
 -  Aristophanes