Gallery review 4-24-04

John Warner
Sailboat
I?m troubled by the boat.  I keep trying to imagine it
in different places and different sizes and they all
keep ending up giving the same impact, distracting.
Perhaps it was ill titled, but my attention is on the
absolutely stunning colors and landscape of the cliff.
 Certainly the boat provides balance in the field of
blue, but I would have waited for something a little
more majestic than a yuppie yacht to interact with
that display.

Dan Mitchell
Gloriam
I just returned from a holiday in the UK wherein I
visited a large variety of old churches.  Have some
digital I could immediately share with you, the 120
will take a while.  Interesting perspective, but a
little low.  That first pew feels like it?s hitting me
in the face (ever have a hangover in church?).  The
exposure is good, lots of color.  I never learned my
terminology properly, but what effect is it that?s
making the walls look tilted?  Was this shot at
maximum wide angle?

Pini Vollach
Shapes Coexistence
Which shadow?  I see a shadow in the background that
seems to be parallel to the statue and it seems to
have pointy things on it too.  There?s also a shadow
from a tree and one from the statue as well.  Great
texture and contrast.

Les Baldwin
Fashion Portrait
Disturbing.  If it weren?t for the shadow, I?d say she
wasn?t actually sitting in the chair.  It?s kind of
weird.  The contrast in focus and BW/Color makes her
pop out of the picture giving a very assembled look to
it.  She looks shiny.  Not my style at all, but you?d
make a killing here in Cairo with these style
portraits.

Jim Davis
Nest Material Gathering
Your opening description of ?the little egret is
nesting late? makes the picture for me.  Without that
piece, it just looks very hurried?and the crop is a
little unusual (I?d really like to see the original
image).  How much does panning screw with digis
brains?  Is there a measurable loss in reaction time,
a movement lag so to speak?

Jonathan Harris
Wallmart Flower
Nice light on the flower arrangement.  I like the wood
too.  However, the linoleum, legs, and carpet don?t
really seem to fit for me.  I was able to crop them
out a bit.

Trevor Cunningham
View from the prison cell
This is first of a series of two in the prison/palace
schema.  Much of this lattice work was designed as
windows for maintaining the modesty of one?s women.
You can still find homes in Cairo that have these
latticed window boxes that you can see out of but is
very difficult to see in.  Naguib Mahfouz?s Palace
Walk addresses this issue when a young maiden falls in
love with a young police officer who walks underneath
their parlor window everyday on his way to work.  More
and more she reveals herself and her love to the young
man by giving more and more of a view.  However, she
cannot forget the prison that is her home under the
horrible tyranny of her father.

John Palcewski
Wildflowers for Vittoria
This is my pick for the week.  I am absolutely drawn
into this photo.  The condition of the flowers and the
arrangement with respect to lighting (absolutely
fantastic, I?d like to know what you used) give it
this surreal quality I can?t quite put my finger on.
Are there others like this?

=====

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham