Photography's strengths, was Pulitzers

Jim asks:

>So you don't think nature photography has reaped
great
>rewards in the arts?  I happen to think it has.

This wasn't my point at all.  It would be foolish to
deny that nature photography is big business.
Galleries, magazines, workshops...  It's obviously
huge.  It would be equally foolish to deny that
Weston, say, showed the world a new way of seeing a
landscape.  He did, and this is something only a truly
great artist can achieve.

I was more concerned with photography's unique
strengths.  There's no substitute for photojournalism
or documentary photography, 19th century newpaper
etchings and 21st century courtroom sketch artists not
withstanding.

--John

=====
J. Mason