What photography does, was Pulitzers

Me, talking about what all sorts of visual artists can
do:

>>wonderful nudes, portraits, landscapes, still
>>lifes (lives?), street scenes, charming vistas,
cats,
>>babies

Howard questioning:

>to my mind exceptionally well and I believe we do
need
>photography to do them!

Oh, I don't deny that photography can do these things
well.  But photography has no monopoly on them, and
other visual arts do them just as well.

Photography does have a near monopoly on visual
journalism and visual documentation.

I'm thinking about these things in part because I've
started a new research project having to do with South
Africa in the 1950s and '60s.  As you can imagine, the
visual record is immense and staggeringly
rich--created by astonishingly good photographers such
as Bob Gosani, Peter Magubane, and Juergen Schadeberg,
among others.

My first book had to do with South Africa in the early
19th century.  As you can imagine, the visual record
is small.  Sketches, a few paintings.  Some of it
interesting and some of it useful, but there isn't
much of it.  This record (these documents) is not
nearly as large or interesting or as useful as the
record produced by photographers.

--John

=====
J. Mason