Re: Colleges and ethics

There is also also a lot of totally free user-supported software, eg
GNU GIMP, for photo editing, as well as commercial sample software.

Do some searching on "open source" or software with a GNU license.
Take a look at http://Sourceforge.net

Often the software has been developed on Linux or BSD, but has been
ported to run on Windoze.

tOM

On Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 9:36,
Pablo Coronel <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is the software for educational / personal use?
> Are you sure it was not developed by the professor himself?
>
> In the first case it is not piracy in the strict sense of the word.
> Just rememeber that not many students are as fortunate and you and
> coudn't afford $500 in software for a class.
>
> As someone mentioned most of the educatinal packages are either crippled
> or time activated (ie. don;t work after XXX days) and are a great
> promotional tool for software companies, since you "learn" to use the
> program, you become "addicted" to it and will buy a full version when
> you are ready.
>
> At 10:56 AM 4/6/04, you wrote:
> >Fellow Forum Members,
> >
> >Since the beginning of the year, I have been taking a college class on
> >Digital Photography via the I'net. I was excited, as it was my first
> >college-level class. It did not quite meet all my expectations, as it
> >really seemed to be pitched toward what I considered an early
> >high-school level of scholarship. The text book, however, Ben Long's
> >_Complete Digital Photography (Second Edition)_, was pretty complete;
> >dated (as any text has to be), but pretty complete.
> >
> >But I was not taking the class for the digital learning. I knew at
> >least as much about digital photography as the instructor. I was in the
> >class just to have an official course under my belt, AND to have my
> >photos analyzed and discussed by someone who knew photography much
> >better than I. I looked forward to criticism, as we grow only by making
> >and correcting mistakes. My first submission was well analyzed. The
> >rest were merely praised. That was another slight disappointment.
> >Still, I was enjoying the course with a solid A (possibly the highest
> >grade in the class).
> >
> >UNTIL
> >
> >The instructor gave away to anyone in the class who wanted one a burned
> >copy of his personal image correction software. At least that is how it
> >seemed to me.
> >
> >I immediately withdrew from the class and asked for a refund of my
> >tuition. To me, this was institutionalized software piracy and I could
> >no longer participate in the class in any way. I REALLY wanted the
> >credit, but I felt the ethics involved were more important than the
> >credit.
> >
> >The Query
> >
> >Was I wrong in this this? Is this how it is done in colleges and
> >universities now? Am I behind the times?
> >
> >While this query is directed basically toward the academic instructors
> >on the list, I would appreciate comments from anyone. If I was wrong,
> >let me know and I will consider it just another learning experience,
> >although I am not sure it will lead to personal growth, just
> >understanding.
> >
> >Query II
> >
> >Does anyone know of any photo classes at the univerisity level that can
> >be taken via the I'net? (Assuming I am not now blackballed by all
> [...]

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -------
   ,__@	tOM Trottier +1 613 231-6115
 _-\_<,		758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)		N45.412 W75.714
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
-Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826)