> Re: Gallery sales

Having run a gallery, I have to advise you all what a small world we live
in.  There is little that happens outside the gallery, that doesn't get back
to the gallery people.  In fact, that's a good thing.

So, examine your own ethics when you gooutside or around your gallery,
usually secured with a contract.

If you feel the gallery doesn't have the print, size or otherwise, that you
may want to sell a client, have the gallery buy your prints.

If you have an exposition only contract, go for the outside sales.
Otherwise, get it established how the gallery wants to represent you and
your work.

We had an area exclusive.  All work sold, represented inside the gallery in
any copied or varied form went through us.  Other views, or portrolios
exhibited or in print that we did not have in our gallery were propriety of
the artist.

Rarely did a second size print go up for sale by such demand, but on that
occasion since we brought in the client we got the sale.

We had some verbal agreements, some written.  Both were forgotten when the
money came to thecounter; it was my job to remember all those inuendos and
take the flack.   That I did, and not exclusively my own prints.

I could have sold more of my own, and can recall only two print sales I lost
that I could have made.  It's the ethics of thething and the agreement with
the gallery.

Steve S.