re: Review of Photoforum Exhibits April 3, 2004

Wow.  Thanks!  I try to capture and explain Egypt in my pictures (or wherever I happen to be at the time), and I think your commentary of my picture has done a better job than I think I have with the camera...perhaps the truest complement.  I'm happy that everyone has been able to look past the processing and scanning flaws (but I am still seeking a little advice on that area...clone/stamp in Photoshop is not very reliable with gradient fields...that horizontal line is a nuiscance)

Cheers!

Craig wrote:
Trevor, I believe this is the first time I've ever reviewed your work.  What a wonderful illusion this is! I believe I spent a good five minutes deciding whether there were two minarets, or one and a mirror, or where the mirror is, if there is one, etc. And no, I have not yet come to any solid conclusion.

The overall feel of this, the "exotic" nature of the shot, the dusty walls (whether they were or not) and the architecture sprawling outside the window, again, add to the interaction factor I mentioned with Pini's Gazebo.  The lack of information in the shadowed area of the wall to the left and the limited patch of light to the wall on the right provide a golden
walkway for my mind to follow right out the window. Add to this the connection among the traveling magicians circa 1920 and the Byzantine/Mediterranean world, and the use of "smoke and mirrors" to render indiscernible the region where reality meets illusion, and somewhere in there all of these things meet in this image. The only question is "do they meet in the mirror, or in the 'real world' portion of the image?"

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?