RE: can there be art photography ...

Bob,

"Art" runs on a continuum of competence and conventions as do artists and I see no useful way to measure it
objectively.
You are correct "silly notions" is a loaded expression . Anyone with special knowledge of any subject has to
speak up when they know someone has a mis-understanding about it.

I can give an example: I frequently look at submissions to an art gallery from people doing a variety of media.
 When I run into something that may look terrific to me but I don't feel I'm an expert in the medium - clay,
for instance, I make sure to ask someone who really knows clay. BTW just being a good crafter in any medium
doesn't get you past the judgment that - yea, it's competent, but so are a ton of other artists.  This is
particularly true of photography.  I can look at a portfolio of Holga pictures and know the person will make an
exciting exhibit. Whereas I can look at some AA clone's stuff that might look fine to a lot of other folks and
confidently reject it. I was a juror once at a large photo competition with two other people. One was a PJ, the
other was an advertising art director and I lean toward the "Fine Art", snicker, snicker, crowd.  None of us
were comfortable with the other's choices.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
NOW SHIPPING