Re: What's this?

Gregory Fraser wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rev. Sidney Flack

Burnett obviously knows a lot about photography. The images are very reminiscent of the Life Magazine photo essays back when photo journalism meant something. The shallow DOF is from using his Kodak Ektar lenses wide open or nearly so.

My point exactly. As far as I know, shallow DOF can be achieved with any format other than pinhole. Using a Graflex doesn't guarantee shallow DOF.

Well, someone else answered this one.

Not only are the images extremely well composed, the ones that appeared on my screen had great tonal scale. They were expressive.

Now did you see images other than the 3 thumbnails I saw? Perhaps it was my high contrast LCD monitor or perhaps it was just my lack of experience and knowledge of photography - the reason I was quiet until Achal posted. I never cared much for that 'decisive moment' business anyway.

The images I saw on my Apple 17" flat Studio display set to 1280x1024 dpi were about 3" across. They were clean, crisp, and, as I said, expressive. They had depth even with relatively shallow DOF. As with any large format image, they gave a sense of presence unmatched by smaller film sizes.

Never trust your eyes to what you see on an LCD. They just can't get the resolution to a reliable dot size. Even the best ones end up looking like small pebbles. Fine for playing games and watching movies. Terrible for viewing fine photographs.

'Nuff for now.

Peace!
Sidney