Gallery review, March 14th, 2004

Well, here come my always honest opinions:

Jim Davis- Smiling Coot in Blue Water
Hey, I finally made the top of the list! This is a tough shot to
appreciate small, hope you all liked it.

WRGill- NIPON - I'd love to know what the title means - I know what
Nippon means but can't see any relationship there. In any case, it's a
bit of a 'different' flower photo, in that it's mostly monochromatic,
and high contrast. Not much to say really.

John Palcewski - Maria
Well John, not much nice can be said of this portrait. Certainly this
style is all your own. It appears to be a skinny girl just out of bed,
who had too much to drink last night. I hope she doesn't see the
gallery this week...

Jim Snarski - Lion of Nakaru
Shutter lag? This might have been interesting if some shadow detail
was visible. Try dropping your levels and putting a curve in there.

Bob Talbot - Wall
Bob, Bob, Bob. Nice to see you're bad. Is, that - yuck - snow there on
the wall? I can see an interesting 'face' on the wall. Sort of a Homer
Simpson in colour negative. I kind of like this photo. It's got nice
colours and an overall abstract but interesting feeling.

Peeter Vissak - Ecological footprint
Well done technically to capture some detail on the person. I like the
guy's arm but wish his face had moved in a bit to give a profile up
there. Interesting image of a difficult subject.

jIMMY Harris - Snowy Egrets
Well' Jimmy', you're going to hate me for this, but your birds are all
flying away from the camera :-) I kind of like the line of them near
the bottom like a fence. Unfortunately, some flying birds messed up
the line. Technically your image looks too dark. You might try just
increasing contrast. 'Stuff' at top might have been removed. Ya,
you're right I really don't like this one, sorry.

Trevor Cunningham - Terran Tissue Arrangement C
Wow! This image is striking. It appears perhaps sideways or upside
down though. Keep up the good work, you're onto something here.

Folks, the gallery lately has been pretty depressing. Get out and
shoot more, people. It's no wonder we're not getting any reviews. I
suffered through this one by sheer will power...

--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography