Re: DSLR durability

Mauricio

The longevity depends on the camera. I believe both Nikon and Canon make two
types of DSLRs: prosumer and professional. There is a big difference in
longevity between the two classes. If memory serves, you should be able to
get about 35,000 to 50,000 shots in the Canon prosumer cameras (such as the
D60 and 10D), whereas their professional cameras (like the 1D) are good for
100,000 to 150,000 shots.

Of course an individual camera may do better or worse.

Pixels in CCDs do seem to have a finite life. At least they did with video
cameras. But they die off very slowly. I have not seem lifetime estimates
for CCDs, but I doubt they will be the limiting factor. And this is a guess,
but I suspect both pro and prosumer cameras have autocorrecting circuitry to
circumvent this problem.

I have never read where this is a problem with CMOS receptors. I hope
someone else can let us know about them.

peace

rand