Re: Photo: Pillar of the Community

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:24:15 -0500
"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1240AD?  How does that jibe with the concept of the campanile - the
> Italian bell tower that lots of towns in Italy have?  Was the
> detached bell tower somehow an imitation of the Roman?

I don't know about this specific case, but there are quite a few
'detached' towers in England (and probably Wales, come to think of it).
In some cases - I believe the one right at the crossroads at the (Roman)
centre of Gloucester - were bombed in the 2nd world war; in other cases
there was just some engineering reason for building the tower slightly
apart.

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/